Forum Blogs VIP Armenia Community Chat All Albums

VIP Forums Muzblog Chat Games Gallery. Ôîðóì, ìóçäíåâíèêè, ÷àò, èãðû, ãàëëåðåÿ.

Press here to open menubar...User Control Panel WAP/Mobile forum Text Only FORUM RULES FAQ Calendar
Go Back   VIP Armenia Community > Forum > General Discussions > Diaspora
Blogs Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read Press here to open menubar...

Notices

Diaspora News and events in Armenian and other diasporas.

Ode to a Forgotten Genocide Survivor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 15, 17:06   #1 (permalink)
Top VIP
VIP Ultra Club
Post Ode to a Forgotten Genocide Survivor

NEW YORK—My name is Vartouhi Avedisian and I am a mournful survivor of the Armenian Genocide.

I took my place alone during the commemoration in Times Square on Sun., April 26. You may not have known that because I was never introduced. Not that I came looking for such glory.

Sole genocide survivor Vartouhi Avedisian, 102, takes her venerable, yet secluded, place among the thousands in Times Square on April 26. (Photo: Tom Vartabedian)

I was the woman in the wheelchair, seated in front of the clergy, with the red knitted cap, blue coat, and white hair—rather patriotic, don’t you think?

Yes, I arrived a bit late with my family but when you’re 102 years old, it takes a little extra time to get ready and out the door. I was determined to represent my generation of Armenians who escaped the brutality of 1915 and those from Bulgaria, among whom I later dwelled.

It did my heart good to see such a program organized for the Centennial. The speeches were very formal and abundant as usual. My favorite part was seeing the youngsters dancing and the choral group singing my beautiful music.

Watching them perform gives me the inspiration to live well beyond my intended years. I’ve been attending observances for many years now, health permitting. Back when I first started, we were among dozens who gathered to pay homage.

As the years declined, so did the size of our assembly. It was good to see other survivors, like Aznev, Satenik, Dro and Hripsime. To the outside world, I am Rose. To them, I am Vartouhi.

They spoke loud and clear at this observance, politicians who might help our cause and clergy in the good name of unity.»To me, we’re all alike, distinctions apart, serving the cause of Armenia, which I have embraced and kept close to my heart.

Had I not shown»up this Sunday, we would have been survivor-less. I can do without all the attention that merits one of my kind. The photographers make a spectacle out of me. Reporters ask questions. I am their curiosity. Perhaps the attention goes with the territory.

A young Homenetmen scout took my hand and was happy to greet me.»To him, I may have been his “Big Medz Mama,” like I am often called with my own family. I am your “Mayr Haiastan” and have done my very best to pass the heritage and culture forward to the younger generations.

A woman by my side held up a wedding photograph of her family survivors with the Armenian cross on one side of the poster and these words on the other: “Nothing is forgotten. No one is forgotten. Turkey stop denying the Armenian Genocide.”

She was there for the longest time standing with that sign in the crowd. How many of them lost parents and grandparents to the Turkish horsemen? How many were uprooted from their homes and thrown like dust in the wind? Where were the other countries? Why was I spared?

God must have had a reason. But why did he allow the others to perish: the men, women, children, and elderly? Some may say I was the chosen one. I would rather think otherwise. Perhaps I was spared to attend this 100th»commemoration in my own private and humble manner.

My name is Vartouhi and like the rose, there is beauty above those prickly thorns. The genocide taught us a very important lesson: that beneath the devastation and turmoil, the thorns of humanity, our nation emerged, destined to make its mark upon the world.

A speaker told of our strength and courage against all odds. He spoke about the immigrants who shaped America and other parts of the world. We survived because destiny was our salvation. We lived to manifest our heritage and culture.

How long I can keep attending these observances is the work of God. You may see me next year. But if you don’t, please remember my name. My legacy!

I am Vartouhi Avedisian. The genocide survivor who slipped by unnoticed.

The post Ode to a Forgotten Genocide Survivor appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

NEW YORK—My name is Vartouhi Avedisian and I am a mournful survivor of the Armenian Genocide. I took my place alone during the commemoration in Times Square on Sun., April 26. You may not have known that because I was never introduced. Not that I came looking for such glory. Sole genocide survivor Vartouhi Avedisian, 102, takes her venerable, yet secluded, place among the thousands in Times Square on April 26. (Photo: Tom Vartabedian) I was the woman in the wheelchair, seated in front of the clergy, with the red knitted cap, blue coat, and white hair—rather patriotic, don’t you think? Yes, I arrived a bit late with my family but when you’re 102 years old, it takes a little extra time to get ready and out the door. I was determined to represent my generation of Armenians who escaped the brutality of 1915 and those from Bulgaria, among whom I later dwelled. It did my heart good to see such a program organized for the Centennial. The speeches were very formal and abundant as usual. My favorite part was seeing the youngsters dancing and the choral group singing my beautiful music. Watching them perform gives me the inspiration to [...]

The post Ode to a Forgotten Genocide Survivor appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

NEW YORK—My name is Vartouhi Avedisian and I am a mournful survivor of the Armenian Genocide. I took my place alone during the commemoration in Times Square on Sun., April 26. You may not have known that because I was never introduced. Not that I came looking for such glory. Sole genocide survivor Vartouhi Avedisian, 102, takes her venerable, yet secluded, place among the thousands in Times Square on April 26. (Photo: Tom Vartabedian) I was the woman in the wheelchair, seated in front of the clergy, with the red knitted cap, blue coat, and white hair—rather patriotic, don’t you think? Yes, I arrived a bit late with my family but when you’re 102 years old, it takes a little extra time to get ready and out the door. I was determined to represent my generation of Armenians who escaped the brutality of 1915 and those from Bulgaria, among whom I later dwelled. It did my heart good to see such a program organized for the Centennial. The speeches were very formal and abundant as usual. My favorite part was seeing the youngsters dancing and the choral group singing my beautiful music. Watching them perform gives me the inspiration to [...]

[img][/img]
More...