Forum Blogs VIP Armenia Community Chat All Albums

VIP Forums Muzblog Chat Games Gallery. Ôîðóì, ìóçäíåâíèêè, ÷àò, èãðû, ãàëëåðåÿ.

Press here to open menubar...User Control Panel WAP/Mobile forum Text Only FORUM RULES FAQ Calendar
Go Back   VIP Armenia Community > Forum > General Discussions > Diaspora
Blogs Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read Press here to open menubar...

Notices

Diaspora News and events in Armenian and other diasporas.

Virginia US Senate Candidate Gillespie Voices Support for Armenian American Priorities

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 14, 16:13   #1 (permalink)
Top VIP
VIP Ultra Club
Post Virginia US Senate Candidate Gillespie Voices Support for Armenian American Priorities

Pledges to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation during his first term in office

WASHINGTON—The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) warmly welcomes Ed Gillespie’s stands on issues of special concern to Armenian Americans.» In an Oct. 30 letter, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate from Virginia:

—Affirms that “the Armenian Genocide of 1915 is an indisputable fact.”

—Supports Congressman Ed Royce’s efforts to ensure that Turkey returns confiscated Christian churches.

—Commits to promote U.S.-Armenia economic ties through trade agreements and a new tax treaty.

—Pledges to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation during his first term in the Senate.

Former RNC Chairman and current Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Ed Gillespie offers his insights on Armenian American issues during a meeting with ANCA Exec. Director Aram Hamparian and Government Affairs Director Kate Nahapetian.

“Knowing Ed Gillespie personally and having worked with him in the past, I warmly welcome the letter. It is a wonderful addition to have a supporter and strong ally on our side such as Ed. I look forward to our continued engagement and deepening collaboration on issues of Armenian American concern with him for the years to come,” said Richmond community leader and ANCA-Virginia activist Melanie Kerneklian.

“We appreciated our very thoughtful dialogue with Ed Gillespie during his visit to the ANCA, deeply value his stands on Armenian American issues, and look forward to widely sharing his view with concerned voters throughout the Commonwealth who care about Armenia,” said ANCA Executive Director Aram Hamparian.

Gillespie’s opponent, incumbent Senator Mark Warner, supported Armenian issues as Governor, but, during his six-year tenure on Capitol Hill, has not taken any proactive steps on public policy issues of special concern to Americans of Armenian heritage.

Gillespie has served as Chairman of the Republican National Committee and as Counsel to President George W. Bush.

The full text of Gillespie’s letter is provided below.

Text of Mr. Gillespie’s Letter to the ANCA:

October 30, 2014

Mr. Aram Hamparian
Executive Director
Armenian National Committee of America
1711 N St NW
Washington, DC 20036

Dear Mr. Hamparian,

It was a pleasure meeting with you and Ms. Kate Nahapetian on Monday October 27, 2014.

I appreciate our discussion on Armenian issues and relations with the United States. I agree that the Armenian Genocide in 1915 is an indisputable fact and believe reconciliation of the horrific and sad event would do much to improve relations throughout the region. I am also concerned about infringements and confiscation of Armenian, Syriac and Greek Orthodox churches and artifacts by Turkey. As a Catholic whose faith is important to me, I would stand with Congressman Edward Royce in raising awareness and call for the return of properties to their rightful owners. Lastly, I am troubled about the ongoing Nagorno-Karabagh conflict and would be engaged on seeking a peaceful settlement and would encourage the U.S. Government to continue facilitating its conclusion.

In addition to being involved on these important issues, I would promote opportunities to deepen U.S.-Armenian economic ties. I would work with the U.S. Government to promote trade agreements and the development of a new tax treaty between the U.S. and Armenia to end double taxation. In addition, I pledge during my first term to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation to see first-hand this growing and important partner in the region.

Mr. Hamparian, thank you again for your time. I look forward to working with you and the Armenian National Committee.

[Signed]

Ed Gillespie for Senate
8198 Terminal Rd, Suite 205
Lorton, Virginia

The post Virginia US Senate Candidate Gillespie Voices Support for Armenian American Priorities appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

Pledges to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation during his first term in office WASHINGTON—The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) warmly welcomes Ed Gillespie’s stands on issues of special concern to Armenian Americans.» In an Oct. 30 letter, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate from Virginia: —Affirms that “the Armenian Genocide of 1915 is an indisputable fact.” —Supports Congressman Ed Royce’s efforts to ensure that Turkey returns confiscated Christian churches. —Commits to promote U.S.-Armenia economic ties through trade agreements and a new tax treaty. —Pledges to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation during his first term in the Senate. Former RNC Chairman and current Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Ed Gillespie offers his insights on Armenian American issues during a meeting with ANCA Exec. Director Aram Hamparian and Government Affairs Director Kate Nahapetian. “Knowing Ed Gillespie personally and having worked with him in the past, I warmly welcome the letter. It is a wonderful addition to have a supporter and strong ally on our side such as Ed. I look forward to our continued engagement and deepening collaboration on issues of Armenian American concern with him for the years to come,” said Richmond community leader [...]

The post Virginia US Senate Candidate Gillespie Voices Support for Armenian American Priorities appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

Pledges to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation during his first term in office WASHINGTON—The Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA) warmly welcomes Ed Gillespie’s stands on issues of special concern to Armenian Americans.» In an Oct. 30 letter, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate from Virginia: —Affirms that “the Armenian Genocide of 1915 is an indisputable fact.” —Supports Congressman Ed Royce’s efforts to ensure that Turkey returns confiscated Christian churches. —Commits to promote U.S.-Armenia economic ties through trade agreements and a new tax treaty. —Pledges to visit Armenia as part of a Congressional Delegation during his first term in the Senate. Former RNC Chairman and current Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Ed Gillespie offers his insights on Armenian American issues during a meeting with ANCA Exec. Director Aram Hamparian and Government Affairs Director Kate Nahapetian. “Knowing Ed Gillespie personally and having worked with him in the past, I warmly welcome the letter. It is a wonderful addition to have a supporter and strong ally on our side such as Ed. I look forward to our continued engagement and deepening collaboration on issues of Armenian American concern with him for the years to come,” said Richmond community leader [...]

[img][/img]
More...