Forum Blogs VIP Armenia Community Chat All Albums

VIP Forums Muzblog Chat Games Gallery. Ôîðóì, ìóçäíåâíèêè, ÷àò, èãðû, ãàëëåðåÿ.

Press here to open menubar...User Control Panel WAP/Mobile forum Text Only FORUM RULES FAQ Calendar
Go Back   VIP Armenia Community > Forum > General Discussions > Diaspora
Blogs Community Press here to open menubar...

Notices

Diaspora News and events in Armenian and other diasporas.

I am the Messenger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 16, 16:26   #1 (permalink)
Top VIP
VIP Ultra Club
Post I am the Messenger

By Ani Arzoumanian

I am the messenger, the historian, the speaker for the dead. I roam the Earth, endlessly seeking opportunities to spread the truth. How many know this truth? Some have heard. How many care? Not many do. Until they’ve met me. My job is to spread awareness. I talk, I write, I speak. My goal is to avenge the suffering souls still stuck between Heaven and Earth, forever in torment, roaming right alongside me every step of the way.

‘I am the messenger, the historian, the speaker for the dead.’

1.5 million. Two thirds of an entire race, silenced by death. “Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?” I do. I remember, I remind. I declare that the truth must be revealed and justice served, so that my murdered ancestors can finally rest in peace. Denial has continued 101 years too long. Genocide is Genocide is Genocide. No other term will do. It was not a massacre, a war, disagreement, or “safety measure.” It was a deliberate attempt to exterminate an entire ethnicity, conceived and carried out by the Ottoman-Turkish government of 1915.

All of my great-grandparents were miraculous survivors of the Armenian Genocide. Most were orphaned at a young age—one as a newborn—and all were forced to survive the unimaginable in a country whose government set out to erase them from existence. Raped, starved, beaten, shot? their predetermined fates were written in parchment, right under the red hands of Turkish leadership.

Tragedy has struck our Earth time and time again. Never, not ever, have we learned our lesson. History endlessly repeats itself. Hate is fueled by hate, love is drowned by violence. How can we stop this vicious cycle, the evil workings of Human Nature? By accepting the truths of our past, we can prevent a recurrence in the future. Hitler decided to commit the Holocaust because he thought there would be no negative consequences. He believed this because he saw that, under the cover of World War I, the annihilation of the Armenians went unspoken and unpunished.

101 years later, I have become the messenger for my dead ancestors. I speak when they cannot. The Turkish government spends millions of dollars every year to lobby Congress in Washington, D.C., as part of its policy of denial.

How should I react when someone tells me I’m lying? Or when someone says that none of it was real, that my ancestors and the rest of the so»-called “survivors” made up one big lie? DNA tests have traced my bloodline to Western Armenia (present-day Eastern Turkey) back 30,000 years. Only recently, my family was forcibly removed from ancient Armenian lands. What am I to do about this injustice by myself? That is why I have become the messenger. By spreading awareness, I can do so much more to avenge my family.

I need you to help me fulfill my goal. The more people are educated about this issue, the more nations, such as the US, can be persuaded to recognize the events of 1915 as genocide. Eventually, Turkey can be pressured into recognizing the Armenian Genocide and paying reparations to Armenia for all that was lost: land, lives, property, traditions, and faith in humanity.

Ani Arzoumanian, 15, is a rising Junior at Ridgewood High School, in Ridgewood, N.J. She is an active member of the AYF, a graduate of the Hovnanian Armenian School, and works with organizations such as the ANC of New Jersey and the Armenian Wounded Heroes Fund, helping with their social media outreach. She wrote this paper for one of the courses she took at Phillips Academy, Andover, over the summer.

By Ani Arzoumanian I am the messenger, the historian, the speaker for the dead. I roam the Earth, endlessly seeking opportunities to spread the truth. How many know this truth? Some have heard. How many care? Not many do. Until they’ve met me. My job is to spread awareness. I talk, I write, I speak. My goal is to avenge the suffering souls still stuck between Heaven and Earth, forever in torment, roaming right alongside me every step of the way. ‘I am the messenger, the historian, the speaker for the dead.’ 1.5 million. Two thirds of an entire race, silenced by death. “Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?” I do. I remember, I remind. I declare that the truth must be revealed and justice served, so that my murdered ancestors can finally rest in peace. Denial has continued 101 years too long. Genocide is Genocide is Genocide. No other term will do. It was not a massacre, a war, disagreement, or “safety measure.” It was a deliberate attempt to exterminate an entire ethnicity, conceived and carried out by the Ottoman-Turkish government of 1915. All of my great-grandparents were miraculous survivors of the Armenian [...]
  By Ani Arzoumanian I am the messenger, the historian, the speaker for the dead. I roam the Earth, endlessly seeking opportunities to spread the truth. How many know this truth? Some have heard. How many care? Not many do. Until they’ve met me. My job is to spread awareness. I talk, I write, I speak. My goal is to avenge the suffering souls still stuck between Heaven and Earth, forever in torment, roaming right alongside me every step of the way. ‘I am the messenger, the historian, the speaker for the dead.’ 1.5 million. Two thirds of an entire race, silenced by death. “Who, after all, speaks today of the annihilation of the Armenians?” I do. I remember, I remind. I declare that the truth must be revealed and justice served, so that my murdered ancestors can finally rest in peace. Denial has continued 101 years too long. Genocide is Genocide is Genocide. No other term will do. It was not a massacre, a war, disagreement, or “safety measure.” It was a deliberate attempt to exterminate an entire ethnicity, conceived and carried out by the Ottoman-Turkish government of 1915. All of my great-grandparents were miraculous survivors of the Armenian [...]
[img][/img]
More...