Forum Blogs VIP Armenia Community Chat All Albums

VIP Forums Muzblog Chat Games Gallery. Ôîðóì, ìóçäíåâíèêè, ÷àò, èãðû, ãàëëåðåÿ.

Press here to open menubar...User Control Panel WAP/Mobile forum Text Only FORUM RULES FAQ Calendar
Go Back   VIP Armenia Community > Forum > General Discussions > Diaspora
Blogs Community Press here to open menubar...

Notices

Diaspora News and events in Armenian and other diasporas.

Margarita Gasparyan Wins Tennis Title in Baku

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 15, 16:12   #1 (permalink)
Top VIP
VIP Ultra Club
Post Margarita Gasparyan Wins Tennis Title in Baku

On Aug. 3, pro-tennis player Margarita Gasparyan won a Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Rising Star Final at the Baku Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan. It was the first WTA title of her career.

Margarita Gasparyan

Twenty-year-old Gasparyan was born to Armenian parents, Melik and Ludmilla, in Moscow, Russia.» She began playing tennis when she was five years old; her professional tennis career began at age 16. Among her professional achievements are nine ITF singles titles. Gasparyan was invited to be part of the Russian team for the 2013 Fed Cup Final against Italy.

Earlier this year, she made her Grand Slam tournament debut in the French Open, and then faced Serena Williams in Wimbledon on June 29.

“I knew she would be a good player – I can’t say I thought she’d be that good, to be honest. Obviously when you’re winning three matches in qualifying you’re ready to go the distance, and playing me she had nothing to lose. She played really good,” Williams said.

Gasparyan is the first player with a one-handed backhand to win a WTA title this year; the last person to do so was Carla Suarez Navarro in Oeiras, Portugal, in April 2014.

After winning the Rising Star Final against Patricia Maria Tig, Gasparyan continued to win the doubles title alongside Alexandra Panova.

With this tournament, Gasparyan earned a singles ranking of 71 and doubles ranking of 84.

Gasparyan lives and trains in Moscow, Russia. She is currently coached by Elena Makarora, a former WTA player. Gasparyan has said that her long-term goal is to win Wimbledon.

The post Margarita Gasparyan Wins Tennis Title in Baku appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

On Aug. 3, pro-tennis player Margarita Gasparyan won a Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Rising Star Final at the Baku Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan. It was the first WTA title of her career. Margarita Gasparyan Twenty-year-old Gasparyan was born to Armenian parents, Melik and Ludmilla, in Moscow, Russia.» She began playing tennis when she was five years old; her professional tennis career began at age 16. Among her professional achievements are nine ITF singles titles. Gasparyan was invited to be part of the Russian team for the 2013 Fed Cup Final against Italy. Earlier this year, she made her Grand Slam tournament debut in the French Open, and then faced Serena Williams in Wimbledon on June 29. “I knew she would be a good player – I can’t say I thought she’d be that good, to be honest. Obviously when you’re winning three matches in qualifying you’re ready to go the distance, and playing me she had nothing to lose. She played really good,” Williams said. Gasparyan is the first player with a one-handed backhand to win a WTA title this year; the last person to do so was Carla Suarez Navarro in Oeiras, Portugal, in April 2014. After winning the [...]

The post Margarita Gasparyan Wins Tennis Title in Baku appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

On Aug. 3, pro-tennis player Margarita Gasparyan won a Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Rising Star Final at the Baku Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan. It was the first WTA title of her career. Margarita Gasparyan Twenty-year-old Gasparyan was born to Armenian parents, Melik and Ludmilla, in Moscow, Russia.» She began playing tennis when she was five years old; her professional tennis career began at age 16. Among her professional achievements are nine ITF singles titles. Gasparyan was invited to be part of the Russian team for the 2013 Fed Cup Final against Italy. Earlier this year, she made her Grand Slam tournament debut in the French Open, and then faced Serena Williams in Wimbledon on June 29. “I knew she would be a good player – I can’t say I thought she’d be that good, to be honest. Obviously when you’re winning three matches in qualifying you’re ready to go the distance, and playing me she had nothing to lose. She played really good,” Williams said. Gasparyan is the first player with a one-handed backhand to win a WTA title this year; the last person to do so was Carla Suarez Navarro in Oeiras, Portugal, in April 2014. After winning the [...]

[img][/img]
More...