Forum Blogs VIP Armenia Community Chat All Albums

VIP Forums Muzblog Chat Games Gallery. Ôîðóì, ìóçäíåâíèêè, ÷àò, èãðû, ãàëëåðåÿ.

Press here to open menubar...User Control Panel WAP/Mobile forum Text Only FORUM RULES FAQ Calendar
Go Back   VIP Armenia Community > Forum > General Discussions > Diaspora
Blogs Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read Press here to open menubar...

Notices

Diaspora News and events in Armenian and other diasporas.

Readers Share Their Gratitude Toward America

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Dec 14, 16:04   #1 (permalink)
Top VIP
VIP Ultra Club
Post Readers Share Their Gratitude Toward America

Every good story deserves a sequel, or so it’s said. Sometimes I get more pleasure out of a follow-up than I do with the original. Please read on.

The Thanksgiving column I wrote about sharing my gratitude in being an American-Armenian created quite the stir. What bothered me a little were a couple naysayers who shared some contempt for living in the grand ole USA.

They expressed their disappointment at the government, the poverty rate, the discrimination and terrorism, the unemployment rate, and everything else beneath the moon. Not a mention about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Maybe that part of it is taken for granted, huh?

‘‘Tis the season to be jolly, I know, but also the time of year when we must express some gratitude for being alive.’

A day or two after the column was published, I received an e-mail from a close friend willing to share his thoughts on the subject. He touched upon immigration and ancestry. He spoke of his grandfather who escaped the genocide and gathered at Ellis Island with other family members.

A genocide survivor son also survived Omaha Beach during the D-Day invasion, only to marry a woman of his dreams and become his parents.

So he’s thankful that from a humble cobbler’s wages, the family was able to summon other immigrants here and give their children an education that proved its worth.

The guy’s name is Roger Hagopian and he’s a very active videographer in our community. He went on to say, “I am very thankful to have the luxury of sitting back and recording stories of our survivors so such history can be preserved and shared for generations to come.”

The thought occurred to me. If Roger wanted to share his thoughts about thankfulness, maybe others would want to cast their reflections. So I blasted an e-mail to friends in my community, searching for additional feedback.

‘Tis the season to be jolly, I know, but also the time of year when we must express some gratitude for being alive. Of the 60 e-mails I dispatched throughout the country, maybe 20 came forth with responses.

Kathy Eskanderian counts her blessings for not living in a Middle Eastern landmine where violence, persecution, and turmoil would jeopardize her family. “I tell my children this all the time,” she admits. “They’re too young to really understand. In time, they will show their appreciation.”

Protecting and preserving one’s heritage inside a “melting pot” society is Ara Jeknavorian’s inherent goal. Hardly a day goes by when he doesn’t relate to it.

“I’m very thankful to live in a country where my family can freely and safely learn and express our priceless Armenian heritage,” he feels.

Gary Koltookian is thankful at being the family-anointed “turkey carver” each Christmas—a job he takes to heart, not so much for the food as those gathered in love around the table.

“If only I had the power to carve up the same named country (Turkey) and portion it out to our people, keeping in mind the 1915 Armenian Genocide which wiped out half the population.”

Ara Topouzian happens to be a musician and recording artist. He’s grateful for all the people who have supported his musical efforts over the years, along with the love he shares with a wife and two children.

“As an American, I’m thankful to my parents who provided me with an excellent education, my church, and the organizations to which I belong,” Greg Krikorian tells us. “I am thankful for having the ability to communicate in the language of my ancestors.”

U.S. Army Major Felix Gregorian has served five deployments in the Middle East—and he is thankful. He’s grateful to all those who served this conflict, through thick and thin. What bothers him more than hunger is the tons of food that go to waste daily while some are surviving on scraps.

“As a people, we should be thankful that despite the assimilation, we’ve been able to maintain our culture and language,” agrees John Amboian.

“There’s a saying that we are connected within six degrees of separation (the Kevin Bacon theory),” Alex Movsessian points out. “I’m thankful for the name I carry and the people I meet with the same ethnic heritage. I live a pretty diversified life and am thankful for all these options in my life.”

“Our generation is truly grateful for the values bestowed upon us by our immigrant parents,” notes Rita Soovajian. “While they assimilated to America, our ancestors never forgot their roots.”

“Thanks for all we have, for all we can do, and for all that we are,” says Violet Dagdigian.

“I’m thankful we live in a country where we can voice an opinion without fear of repercussion,” says Sylvia Mahlebjian.

“Thank you for the food we are about to eat and the prayer we are about to say,” adds Claire Karibian.

The post Readers Share Their Gratitude Toward America appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

Every good story deserves a sequel, or so it’s said. Sometimes I get more pleasure out of a follow-up than I do with the original. Please read on. The Thanksgiving column I wrote about sharing my gratitude in being an American-Armenian created quite the stir. What bothered me a little were a couple naysayers who shared some contempt for living in the grand ole USA. They expressed their disappointment at the government, the poverty rate, the discrimination and terrorism, the unemployment rate, and everything else beneath the moon. Not a mention about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Maybe that part of it is taken for granted, huh? ‘‘Tis the season to be jolly, I know, but also the time of year when we must express some gratitude for being alive.’ A day or two after the column was published, I received an e-mail from a close friend willing to share his thoughts on the subject. He touched upon immigration and ancestry. He spoke of his grandfather who escaped the genocide and gathered at Ellis Island with other family members. A genocide survivor son also survived Omaha Beach during the D-Day invasion, only to marry a woman of his [...]

The post Readers Share Their Gratitude Toward America appeared first on Armenian Weekly.

Every good story deserves a sequel, or so it’s said. Sometimes I get more pleasure out of a follow-up than I do with the original. Please read on. The Thanksgiving column I wrote about sharing my gratitude in being an American-Armenian created quite the stir. What bothered me a little were a couple naysayers who shared some contempt for living in the grand ole USA. They expressed their disappointment at the government, the poverty rate, the discrimination and terrorism, the unemployment rate, and everything else beneath the moon. Not a mention about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Maybe that part of it is taken for granted, huh? ‘‘Tis the season to be jolly, I know, but also the time of year when we must express some gratitude for being alive.’ A day or two after the column was published, I received an e-mail from a close friend willing to share his thoughts on the subject. He touched upon immigration and ancestry. He spoke of his grandfather who escaped the genocide and gathered at Ellis Island with other family members. A genocide survivor son also survived Omaha Beach during the D-Day invasion, only to marry a woman of his [...]

[img][/img]
More...